Ofloxacin – 200 mg
Ornidazole – 500 mg
Each box contain 10 Blister strips of 10 tablets
Zoxavid-OZ is a combination of ofloxacin and ornidazole. Ofloxacin Ofloxacin is a synthetic antibiotic which belongs to second generation of fluoroquinolones class. Ofloxacin is a racemic mixture of 50% of the levofloxacin and 50% dextrofloxacin.
Ornidazole is a antiprotozoal drug and investigated for use in Crohn’s disease after bowel resection
- Drug resistant bacteria
- Severe infections caused by susceptible organisms
- Acute bacterial exacerbations of chronic bronchitis
- Community acquired pneumonia
- Crohn’s disease after bowel resection
Mechanism of action
Ofloxacin is a broad spectrum antibiotic. It is active against gram positive and gram negative bacteria. It causes inhibition of DNA gyrase and topoisomerase and topoisomerase IV. These enzyme are required for separation of replicated DNA, this causes inhibition of bacterial cell division.
It is a broad spectrum antiprotozoal drug. It produces its action by entering into the cell by diffusion. The nitro group present in the drug is reduced to redox proteins in anaerobic organism to cause reaction with nitro radical which causes cytotoxic reaction by damaging the DNA. The helix of the DNA is destabilized and strand breaks www.frankfurt-live.com.
The combination effect is exerted on the bacteria which causes destruction of the bacteria.
After administration of the drug it is well distributed into the body. The bioavailability of the drug is about 98%. The drug shows dose dependent response.
The drug is distributed well into the body fluids with mean plasma concentration was 0.8 to 1.5 times the plasma level.
About 65%-80% of the administered dose is excreted in unchanged form in urine.
After oral administration well absorbed in the body
It is widely distributed in the body with its metabolism in the liver by conjugation
The drug is excreted in urine and small proportion in bile..
- Hypersensitivity reactions
- Allergic reactions
- Hypersensitivity to quinolone group of antibiotics
- Ornidazole during pregnancy and lactation
- Hypersensitivity to ornidazole
- Adequate hydration is required to reduce the risk of concentration of the drug in urine.
- Cautiously administered in patients with hepatic or renal functions.
- Proper laboratory analysis should be made during therapy